The Comet Pride

Student Opinions on Schedule Change

Rebecca Jenkins, Staff Writer

Earlier this month, Johnston County Schools sent out a survey to parents, teachers, and students about whether or not they wanted a later start time, and the effects of a later or earlier on them. We asked students from each grade level two questions about the schedule changes.

Would you rather come to school at the current start and end time or the later schedule (8:45-3:45)? Why?

What are your thoughts on the flex schedule that Mr. Jones is proposing for next year? Do you support it or not?

Xavier Nix (Clayton High Freshman)

1. Would you rather come to school at the current start and end time or the later schedule (8:45-3:45)? Why?

I prefer the normal schedule because I work better in the morning. I also think that if the

elementary students had to wake up earlier for school, they wouldn’t be as willing to

learn.

1. What are your thoughts on the flex schedule that Mr. Jones is proposing for next year? Do you support it or not?

I support the flex schedule because I think being able to choose when classes are is

beneficial to students.

Morgan Johnson (Clayton High School Sophomore)

I support the normal time because it leaves you with an afternoon to fill with various activities including jobs, practices, religious activities, or sports.

I support it for kids who don’t have to worry about getting a ride to school, and for

students who are going to college soon and need to get used to having control over their schedule. I don’t think it should interfere with kids who would like to keep the normal schedule.

Alyse Charleron (Clayton High School Junior)

I would like a later schedule because there isn’t a large difference in the time so it isn’t a

big change. As a busy high school student, the later end time doesn’t conflict with my

schedule. I start work at four and track doesn’t end until 5. I can most likely still get to work on time on a regular late day, which ends at 3:45. I think this schedule should be good for everyone because a high school student shouldn’t be so busy that getting out an hour and forty five minutes makes a significant difference.

As a busy teenager, I do not support the flex schedule because in my opinion, it isn’t well

thought out. It seems like it is catering towards students who prefer to be lazy and

accomplish less. If a student who is already used to the normal schedule wants to switch to a flex schedule, it wouldn’t be convenient for them because they already have activities scheduled around their normal schedule.

Jackson Amigh and Nick Ledom (Clayton High Seniors, Executive Branch of TSA)

We support an earlier start time. The later start time helps with sleep and things related to

it (driving, concentration, etc.) but hurts everything else.

We like the idea of a flex schedule. More student choice of classes is a good thing, but

students should earn it. It would probably help students who are going to college. If a flex

schedule is implemented, comet time should stay.