The Comet Pride

All About Comet Academy

Rebecca Jenkins, Staff Writer

Recently, Clayton High School has started a new program after school: Comet Academy. Comet Academy is an extension of Choice Hub, which, according to the school’s website, is a program developed for Johnston County Schools for students who want a choice in their education or students who are assigned to get their diploma in a non-traditional setting. Though most people understand the idea of Comet Academy, we have heard lots of questions based on how Comet Academy would work out logistically.

Comet Academy runs from 2:30pm-6:30pm after school. The class sizes are small, with a small teacher to student ratio. While students are working on an online program called Connexus, there is a teacher present in the classroom to answer any questions or explain the lesson more thoroughly. Connexus lines up with the high school curriculum. Student may take all or some classes online, but must keep in contact with the teacher whether they are going to the school or going online.

Mrs. Elisha Hope is the Administrator for Comet Academy. Around five teachers stay on campus, and all of the teachers who work at Comet Academy also work at Clayton High School. For each online class a student takes, they are assigned one teacher.

Comet Academy has four parts, or groups of students, that attend. Some are assigned there  (previously at South Campus), students who chose to attend, middle school students who are assigned, and evening academy tutorials. There are all different types of students within the 150 who attend Comet Academy. The non-traditional hours benefit students who participate in sports across the country, students who take care of their family members, students who have medical conditions which prevent them from sitting in a classroom, and students who need the academic flexibility to work. Students up to 22 years old may attend Comet Academy according to state guidelines. When a student is enrolled in Comet Academy, they are enrolled in Clayton High School. Thus, they are allowed to participate in school activities, such as clubs, sports, band, ROTC, etc.