The Comet Pride

Homecoming Game

Rebecca Jenkins, Staff Writer

September 22nd at Clayton High School, the stands were filled with comet blue and the cheers of Clayton fans and students. Students had dressed up in the spirit, wearing their blue and white proudly, some with beads and painted faces. They were all anxiously waiting to watch the homecoming game. In comet country, the homecoming game is one of the most important and exciting times of the year. We were not going to lose, not going to break the winning streak tonight.

The game brought many great plays by our players against the Cary Imps. Two big touchdown catches by senior and homecoming king Devin Carter scored us well needed points. EJ Bradshaw had an amazing run to get a touchdown. Savion Jackson blocked a punt as well. At one point in the game, Tre Richardson was dragging four Imps on his back, struggling to get an incredible twenty yard and touchdown run. These players, as well as those who weren’t mentioned, put in a great effort and ended up winning the game forty-eight to eight.

When we asked Mr. Manzer about players that stuck out, he had lots of great things to say about our football players. “Tre Richardson has been a workhouse all year.” He said with great confidence. “With all his rushing, he is on track to have a thousand yard and twenty touchdown season.”  We were told that it was no surprise that NC State was so keen to sign Devin Carter, because he showed his leaderships skills on and off the field. Savion Jackson was described as a solid force on the defense, resulting in other teams fearing our Clayton defense. Mr. Manzer said that Josh Collins and several other of our defensive backs were “really locking up our defensive  passing game and changing the whole flow of the game for our opponents.” As you can see, there is nothing but great things being said about our football team. Go comets!