The Comet Pride

Club Fair at CHS!

Rebecca Jenkins and Jaiden Dreyer

On September 14th of this year, our school had its Club Fair. Club Fair is an opportunity students get to learn about the majority of the clubs at their school based on their personal interests. They have the chance to talk to officers of the clubs so they can ask questions and get details about the club that they most likely wouldn’t gather from general knowledge. After interviewing a couple of new clubs, the International Club, Young Democrats, and the Film Club, we saw that more students are stepping up to bring their interests into the school. Along with the new clubs that were interviewed were clubs like National FFA Organization and FCCLA, which are not new to the school.

One of our new clubs is the International Club. They focus on teaching people about other cultures and diminishing stereotypes. This club is volunteering for the International Festival in Raleigh on October 21st to 22nd, which is put on by the organization they are partnered with, International Focus. They have also organized a World Fair at East Clayton Elementary School on November 20th. The advisor of the club is Mrs. Nettles.

Young Democrats is another new club, whose purpose is to equally represent the political parties at the school; because there is also a Republican Club. Young Democrats keep up with current events and have monthly meetings. Their advisor is Mrs. Mosby.

Family Career Community Leaders of America, or FCCLA, is a club that focuses on learning about different careers in Family Services. They are attending the Fall Festival, the Special Olympics, and the Harbor House Shelter. FCCLA also volunteers at elementary schools.

National FFA Organization originally stood for Future Farmers of America but changed in 1988 because FFA encompasses so much more than just farmers, like future veterinarians for example. They wanted to keep the well known acronym but make sure everyone understood that it isn’t just for farmers anymore. National FFA Organization teaches people about agriculture and builds the leadership skills of its members. They participating in RLC, Regional Leaders Convention, and Nationals. Mr. Manzor and Mrs. Rakowski are the club advisors.