The student news site of Clayton High School

The Comet Pride

Winter weather over weekend affects CHS

Arnisha Sinclair, Andy Tessier, and Jordan Pounds

CHS is a shelter

Last week’s snow and ice left many people in Clayton in the dark and cold after their power went out.

Due to a great number of Clayton area residents without power, Johnston County officials elected to open a shelter at Clayton High School.

Emergency Management Services [EMS] decides if a shelter needs to be opened. Clayton High is a designated site because of its location. Clint Eaves, principal of Clayton High School, is notified of the times needed to open the building.

Around 5 pm last Friday, Eaves was notified via text that EMS needed to open a shelter at the school.  

It was announced through various media outlets. It is EMS’s responsibility to inform the public when and where shelters are located. The shelter was open from 6 pm Friday until 1 pm Sunday.

Residents who wanted to stay at the shelter were told to gather their personal items, including bedding, medication, comfort and personal hygiene items, and infant supplies such as formula, bottles, disposable diapers and pacifiers. Food and water was provided. Coach Mark Rogers  was the person that worked the shelter.

How did  the winter weather affect you?

“I got sick over the weekend while playing in the snow and ice. My power went out for two hours, but my family had just finished cooking dinner as the power went out. But other than that we played in the snow and used a tarp for sledding,” Jackson Lane, sophomore said.

“The power went out at my house for only an hour, but I complained about it for the whole time. When the power came back on the Internet went out and I complained about that. Other than that I didn’t really do much,” Colin Cumming, junior said.

“I played outside in the snow and it was really cold. I tried to snowboard down, but I failed epically. My power stayed on, but it flickered and stayed on after that,” Veronica Ferry, senior said

“My power went out so I went and stayed with my parents for one night. My parents also lost power as well. My family was there my two brothers and their families; in total, there were six adults and four babies.” Christina Pleasant, teacher said.

“My power went out for 11 hours, but I had a generator so I had back power. I did not play outside in the snow,”  Paula Gibson, teacher said.

“I lost power from Friday 4 p.m. to Sunday 8 p.m. We had generators running, we had to warm up water to take a bath, went out to eat, cleaned the fridge, went fridge shopping and cooked on a grill. I had family over before the power went out,” Teacher Kim Foster said.

“The Panthers didn’t lose to the Cardinals I stayed inside my house and watched the Patriots play against the Broncos with some family and fortunately I had my power.” Teacher Tony Andrews said,

“My power went out briefly; it only went out for about two to three hours. I stayed inside and read some books, but I still haven’t cleaned my car yet from the ice,” Teacher Danielle Heider said.

Make-Up Day

The calendar for Johnston County Schools shows  the first scheduled inclement weather day is  Feb. 15.  This was previously designated as a Teacher Workday.

Staff writers Alexis Cameron and Karysma Robinson contributed to this report.